Land-based Casinos in Wellington
Wellington is New Zealand’s capital and third-largest city. Gambling is a popular form of entertainment in the capital city among residents and tourists. However, is there a casino in Wellington New Zealand? Sadly, the answer to this frequently asked question is no, due to legislation set by the city council.
Nevertheless, there are alternatives to explore, such as Wellington casino hire, visiting the nearest land-based casinos, or playing at an online gambling site. Each of these options caters to the diverse preferences of gambling in Wellington.
This article expatiates Wellington casino hire, covering how it works and the services provided. We look into some of the best land-based casinos closest to the capital, providing details on their location, game selection, and VIP programs. Overall, this review helps beginners or foreigners in the city to understand their options and make informed decisions.
Wellington Casino Hire
This service is provided by Wellington Entertainment Group (WEG). WEG offers similar services to popular casinos in New Zealand, which include gambling and venues for casino private parties or events. Clients choose various themes and table games when booking the venues.
Table games include blackjack, roulette, grand hazard, and poker. Premium tables can be booked for Baccarat, Craps, Carribean Stud Poker, and Texas Hold’em. Clients pick from themes such as Life Size Aces, Red Carpet, Las Vegas Welcome Sign, and Spy Silhouettes.
Prospective customers can book Wellington casino hire using the details below.
- Opening hours: Mondays to Fridays (9 am – 5 pm)
- Phone number: (04) 886 2008
- Email address: [email protected]
- Location: 74 Courtenay Place, Te Aro, WTGN 6011
How does it Work?
WEG offers three main casino hire services.
- Tournament: Participants are given a container with chips worth $5,225 and marked with their denomination to simplify betting. The tables are open for about two hours, after which the dealer counts the remaining chips of each player. The top six winners will play the roulette wheel for a 6-spin playoff with a new and equal number of chips. Two winners will be selected from the final round and awarded Dakota (on Courtenay Place) bar tabs.
- Free play: This is not a competitive game and is designed to make guests socialize and learn more about the games. The tables are set up with chips, but the winnings are left at the table and not cashed in.
- Auction: This is mostly suitable for charity events or fundraisers. The gameplay is similar to the Tournament, except there’s no roulette playoff. After the games, the dealers cash everyone out and write them checks to place bids at the auction.
What Packages Are Offered?
There are six packages, each consisting of 1-6 table games, and the company supplies equipment to participate. Moreover, they provide croupiers to teach guests how to play each table game and keep them entertained.
The packages cater to multiple players and are detailed in the table below.
|Package type||Table games||Number of players||Cost (+GST)|
|Beginners Luck||One package table||Up to 20||$450|
|Little Reno||Two tables||20 to 30||$800|
|Sunset Strip||Three tables||30 to 40||$1,150|
|Vegas VIP||Four tables||40 to 50||$1,400 (20% discount offer; T&C apply)|
|High Roller||Five tables||50 to 60||$1,800|
|Casino Royal||Six tables||60 to 80||$2,150|
Nearest Casino Wellington
Following the city’s casino policy, gamblers seeking the thrill of playing in big land-based casinos will have to travel outside of Wellington. The top three closest options are described below.
SkyCity Hamilton Casino
Location: 346 Victoria Street, Hamilton, New Zealand.
SkyCity Hamilton is six-and-a-half drive from the capital city. They offer over 330 slot machines, 23 table games (including baccarat, roulette, Texas Hold’em Poker, and Caribbean Stud Poker), and two promotions (Premier Rewards Platinum and VIP Black Program).
SkyCity Auckland Casino
Location: Corner Victoria and Federal Streets, Auckland, New Zealand.
This is the second closest one and is about an 8-hour drive. Players can choose from an extensive selection of over 2100 slots and 150 table games. Table games include poker, baccarat, and roulette. Gamblers get to enjoy progressive jackpots like Ultimate Texas Hold’em Poker and Caribbean Stud Poker. Promotional offers include VIP Black and Premier Rewards Platinum programs.
Location: 30 Victoria Street, Christchurch, New Zealand.
A little over an 8-hour drive from the capital, this is one of the best casinos in Christchurch that offers an immersive gaming experience. It boasts over 450 slot machines, 32 table games, and a VIP game room. Roulette, baccarat, and poker (Ultimate Texas Hold’em and Caribbean Stud Poker) are some of the popular table games.
- 1️⃣ Does Wellington have a casino?
There are no casinos in the capital city. Alternatively, gamblers can visit nearby ones or opt for online gambling.
- 2️⃣ Why isn't there a big land-based casino in the capital?
The City Council voted against them in 1997. The details of this policy are stipulated in their by-laws.
- 3️⃣ Which casinos can I visit near Wellington?
If you’re willing to drive long hours or take domestic flights, the nearest Wellington casino address is SkyCity Hamilton. Other options are SkyCity Auckland and Christchurch.
- 4️⃣ From what age can I visit a Wellington casino New Zealand?
The minimum age requirement to gamble is 20. This applies to physical venues or online gambling sites in New Zealand.